Overview of the Health Insurance Marketplace – Affordable Care Act
When the Affordable Care Act was signed into law in 2010, it carried with it a promise of expanding access to quality, affordable health coverage for millions of American families and small businesses. The law is already making health coverage stronger for the majority of Americans who already have it.
- More than eight out of ten Americans have already begun to experience the benefits of the Affordable Care Act
- Better coverage, including free wellness and prevention care like mammograms and cancer screenings
- Three million kids who didn’t have coverage before now can stay on their parents’ plans until age 26
- For the nearly two in ten Americans without health insurance, there will be a new easy way to get affordable coverage
- Beginning October 1st, a new Health Insurance Marketplace will open in every state, giving Americans a whole new way to shop for health insurance
- For the first time in the history of the private insurance market, consumers in every state will be able to go online to one place to check out their coverage options, get accurate information in easy-to-understand language, and make apples-to-apples comparisons of plans before they make their decision.
REGION 4: Delaware, District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Joanne Grossi Joanne.Grossi@HHS.gov
The Public Ledger Building
150 South Independence Mall West – Suite 436 Philadelphia, PA 19106-3499
Office: (215) 861-4633 Fax: (215) 861-4625